Now, I'll blog about my trip to Medan. :)
Why did I choose to go to Medan for community service, and what was it for?
I basically had time and had extra cash (from the government). I like going and exploring new places. Same country, different place is the same if wait were in a different country. So although this would be my third time to Indonesia, it would be my first to Medan. :)
The purpose of the trip was to empower the poor so that they had more opportunities to be employed. Very vague. More specifically, we wanted to conduct training sessions for them, in IT, waitering, sewing or anything, that may increase the income of their family.

Not an easy task.
I went there with 5 other people, of which I only knew 2 prior to the trip. Not a problem, I always sign myself up for such random stuff, meeting new people anyway.
I regret to say that I do not have team pic with me. :( Anyway, there were Galvin, Hui Ming, Santi, Yichen, and Wan Yi, all of them special in their own way.
Me, Hui Ming, Santi, Yichen, Galvin and Sonni, our translator
Btw, I was appointed the co-leader of the team, last minute. :S

Community at the railroad, people we were suppose to help
The houses beside the railroad are basically squatters, illegally built


I didn't have much expectations for the trip. Maybe testing myself to open up my mind even more, learn from the people there. After being appointed co-leader, I thought that I should also take on the
role as I did with Voix: allowing people to step up, learn and lead.
Sitting on the airplane there, I just wanted to sleep. I slept only 2 hours the previous night, and in order to scrimp and save (now that I've graduated, I feel more responsibility for myself financially), I proudly and successfully took the bus then mrt to the airport, in order to each around 8am.
Once I reached Medan, I was greeted by the inefficiencies and the corruptness of the society there. Ah, the familiarity of it. How I love it. And hate it (when I'm the one bullied).


Two things happened that I will always remember that sounds so much similar to the the country I grew up in (albeit I think in this case, it's worse).
I lent my pen to Yichen to fill in the arrival form. When it was her turn for her passport to get stamped, the officer in charge took my pen, and told her that he needed it. He didn't motion to give it back to her.
After she got past the customs (while we were at the baggage belt), Wan Yi came up to tell me that my pen was taken, just because the officer needed. Haha ya right.
Being the fierce person I am in certain situations, I told Galvin that I want my pen back, and expectantly of my behaviour, I went to the customs to try find my pen. There was no one there already, as we were the last few passengers to get our passports stamped.
The officers were chit chatting with each other, and one of them asked me over. I think he knew what I wanted. He was holding my pen. I was like "Saya mau pen saya balik". He started mumbling some Bahasa Indon (which I think I understood a little), with his body language telling me that he is reluctant to give me back my pen. I just said "Saya tidak erti", and relenting my pen, he gave it up, and I took it. YES. Success. Better don't try to bully me when I'm in such a mood.


Situation no. 2? When I got out, everyone took their luggages. I realised that my luggage was missing its handle. I asked the bag handler where was it, and he said that it wasn't there when he took it down. Ya right. As if. Even if it were true, I won't believe it. He replied with a "tak apa" attitude, and I was furious. Hmmph. I wanted to make a report on it, but since we should be meeting our translator, Sonni at that time, I put the issue away. Later in the day, I thought that the trouble of going to make a police report outweighed the cost of the handle, so we didn't make a report in the end. So much for a travel insurance policy being purchased. -.-