DO NOT assume Singapore passport is invincible.
I made that mistake. I thought Singapore passport holders would not need a visa to enter Australia. Guess I was wrong. Except New Zealand citizens, all other passport holders have to apply for ETA, electronic visa online. Thankfully, it only takes 5 to 10 mins to process. :)
I feel like cursing budget airways, yet, I should have been more aware of the visa issue. I guess cus I didn't personally apply for a visa when I came to Australia two years ago, I didn't know about the visa requirements.
Btw, I'm in Perth now.
I was at the budget terminal in Singapore, arrived roughly 1.5 hours before the flight. Little did I know that Singapore passport holders need to apply for a visa to enter Australia. If I do not apply for one, I would be sent back immediately after touching down in Australia. Arh. Then, I wished that if I wasn't an Australian citizen, I would want to be a New Zealand one. =.=
Frantically, I went to the computer station at McDonald's in the budget terminal. I keyed in the website address that the counter staff gave me to apply for my visa, and tried my best to complete it. I was nervous. McDonald's computer only allows people to log on for 10 mins, and logs out automatically after that. I didn't manage to complete it in time to make the payment of AUD20.00. Then, I felt that Australia just want to suck money from visitors to increase government budget. =.=
I quickly approached the counter staff, saying that I had problems applying for the visa. The counter staff said that it was my responsibility to apply for it myself. I told them that the McDonald's counter only allows people to log in for 10 mins, and I couldn't complete my application.
He then allowed me to use his computer in his office.
I tried my best to key in my details again and again, till I just mechanically keyed in all details without referring to my passport.
Yet it still didn't work. 1 hours 20 mins to departure.
I approached the counter staff again, and asked him for help. I was to the extent of pleading.
Only then, did he come to his computer station, and saw what problem I had. He quickly called the Australian Embassy in Singapore, to help me out with my application.
While he was talking on the phone with the person from the embassy, he told the embassy my passport number. Only then, did I realise I keyed in the wrong passport number. Toot Toot. Why did Singapore government change our passport number from our IC number to some other random one? Aih. I do remember my passport number, but I guess at a frantic moment, the long term memory, mechanical side of me took place, and thus I kept on typing in my IC number instead of my passport number.
Happy that we broke the key to knowing what was wrong, I applied for my visa again online, successfully made the AUD20.00 payment as the counter staff was trying his best to talk to the embassy.
After 5 mins, my application was processed. I could go to Australia without being an illegal immigrant.
Thank God man. Prayers work.
Lessons learnt:
1. PQ, please don't assume that Singapore passport is all good for all countries. Taiwan may be okay, China for 15 days, but NOT Australia.
2. PQ, Singaporean counter staff are okay too. They will help you still if they see a real problem.
3. PQ, you're crazy. An idealist. Just keep your eyes and mind open. :)
0 comments:
Post a Comment