Yup. I'm an official employee of Starbucks Singapore now. I have been working for around 3 weeks already as a part-time barista at a branch nearby where I stay in Singapore.

One may ask: why do I choose to do such a thing, when I obviously can opt for better part time jobs around? I'm currently doing my degree. Shouldn't I opt to do a part-time job that is more relevant to my degree than this?

Mind you, Starbucks doesn't pay as much. I definitely am paid much more as a piano teacher, even after the portion of money the music school takes from me for using their premises and teaching their students.

I guess I always had the intention to try out working as a barista a few years back. But the idea germinated when I was in China. I realised that there have been a few things that I have always wanted to do. Like being a barista. Learning Japanese. Volunteering in India. But all these I have not done, as I have been occupied with doing other things in school. Studies. Singing. Serving God in Campus Crusade.

I rationalised: I'm only taking 3 subjects this semester, and they are relatively easy as compared to my usual mind-boggling math modules. I would be graduating in April next year, and after that, may not have the opportunity or the humility to do such a thing anymore. I have stepped down as a committee member in Voix, so I do not have anymore responsibility towards it. Might as well take this opportunity to do something I really want.

And thus, I land up here.


So far, it's been an interesting experience. Working with people from a different social demographics as compared to people in SMU. Having to be flexible, humble, teachable. Mopping, washing and spilling drinks. Talking to customers, relating to them. I have learnt a lot. Making drinks is one thing. But I always treasure the intangibles more than skills that would be applicable only in a particular job. Basically, 我在吃苦. But I don't mind. A part of me is a sadist. Either towards myself or others. The challenge each new things offers excites me.

I am also currently Japanese as a module in school now, which is real cool. I remember when I was 14, I decided that I want to learn Japanese cus I think the way that Japanese speak sounds very nice and cute. Apparently my Japanese housemate in Wuhan doesn't think so. But it's okay, I can start speaking to her in Japanese now!

It's exciting to do something that I have always wanted to do. Doesn't matter that people think it's silly. I feel happy and feel that I'm living. :)