Malaysian church fire-bombed ahead of Muslim protests

Three Malaysian churches have been attacked, leaving one badly damaged, in an escalating dispute over the use of the word "Allah" by non-Muslims.

As Muslim groups prepared to hold protests Friday, police stepped up security around churches nationwide after one in suburban Kuala Lumpur was fire-bombed in a midnight attack that gutted its ground floor and another had its grounds set ablaze.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At first, when my mum sent me an sms saying that church attacks are happening at PJ and Shah Alam last night at 7pm, I didn't want to believe it. I mean, it may be a chain sms! Therefore, I kinda ignored it. Then, later at night around 11pm, I receive a different, but similar msg from my dear friend David, asking to pray for Christians. I then asked him whether it's true, and he confirmed it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand. How a nation can launch arsonic attacks on other religious groups, yet do nothing about, for example, the quality of education. I simply can't comprehend. Or I'm too angry to.


I'm probably biased, as the attacks are on churches. Let's say the attacks are on temples or even mosques - I'll probably not bother as much, but would still mourn over the health of this nation. What the toot is wrong with it?!


If the word "Allah" is used only to refer divinely to the Muslim God, then yes, it is probably understandable why they want a debate about it. But not to this scale, 烧人放火... definitely not (okay, no one died, but still...)! What happened to the peace and prosperity among multi-religion and multi-ethnic society? 1 Malaysia? I never believed it. At least, not for the next decade.


I personally think that the government could do more than condemn the attacks. I really do appreciate the efforts of Malaysian police to step up efforts to protect the churches currently. I really do. This is the first time ever I hear that the federal government is doing something to help Christians.


It was announced in the news that this would come. My dear cousin sent me a piece of news article on the protests that would happen on Tues or Wed. When there's a protest, there's room for violence with heated emotions. Since everyone knew about the protests, I thought that the federal government could have done something more, whatever it is, to stop the attacks.


I hope that Christians in Malaysia would not do anything violent/launch any attacks. Human beings can do anything to protect their sense of identity, be it society, belief or country.


God is watching over all this. Let's all stay calm amidst all these. I believe in negotiations. I hope they would work...soon, in Malaysia.