I read the papers this morning, and it talked about the distinction between a Singaporean citizen and Permanent Resident (PR). As I was reading through it, I got reminded and realised some of the benefits of being a citizen. And I thank God for that.

There are many benefits...medical benefits, housing benefits and baby bonuses. But none of these affect me now. Nonetheless, there are a few benefits that are relevant and important to me now, and which I am grateful for.


Singapore passport - I get to travel to 150 countries without a visa. (Imagine having to apply for visa when I want to go Australia, or wherever...I remember going there last year, and enjoying the hassle-free feeling of just walking in the airport and presenting my passport to the immigration officer. :))

Education - I pay 10% less as compared to a PR. I know it's not much. But imagine if I have went to UniMelb to study! I'd pay AUD24,000 a year! That's 3.5 times more than what I'm paying now.

And last of all...

Bond-free tuition grant - I get a 60-70% tuition grant from the government, and I do not need to pay it back. Foreigners (and probably PRs) have to serve a 3-4 year bond after they have graduated. This is the irony here: I have not lived here for almost all my life, and I get such a privilege, whereas my foreigner/PR friends who have lived here longer than me have to pay either a higher tuition fee and/or serve a bond.

Which leads me to the next: My status as a Malaysian PR.
Yes, I'm one of them who has the opposite colours for my IC as compared to many Malaysians in Singapore. Having this, it gives me the flexibility of choosing to work in Malaysia, something that normal Singaporeans do not have. A Singaporean may ask: "why would I want to work in Malaysia?" (Well, it being a country that is, looking at the economy, behind Singapore) But the benefits of working in Malaysia is obscured by the privileges and comforts that people here have in Singapore. The abundant opportunities, the larger market size, the easiness to get things done through various means, the creativity, the vastness of nature, the free time we have, the cars we get to purchase at a lower price to drive, the helping hands that we get from strangers and the closeness of the friendships. All these, I have in Malaysia. :)

Yes, my privilege, my dilemma. Singapore or Malaysia? Now, I'll just enjoy the benefits of both. ;)