These few days I am in contact with the JC students here. Being in JC, the next phase in life is usually university. And if you willingly place yourself in JC, big chances are that you want to enter university.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These few girls asked me: Oh, you're studying Economics! I'm studying Economics now too, and so far, I think that that is the most interesting subject to study. How did you decide on studying Economics?
Me: I like Maths, but I didn't want to do a Maths-y degree. I took Economics in the pre-uni level, and I liked that Economics is a combination of Maths and analytical skills. In a way, Economics is like Science, because it requires the analytical skills that science subjects require.
The same girls asked me again: Oh, so are you considering a Masters degree now? I'm thinking that I may want to take a local degree here, and go overseas for my Masters.
Me: *Shrug* I don't know. I thought of that, but I think it is not important to me now. I want to do well in my degree first before thinking of taking Masters in the future.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought about my answer, and felt that in actual fact, my initial reasons of taking Economics as my degree doesn't matter that much anymore. It is not that it is not Maths enough for me or it doesn't have the initial analytical skills that HSC Economics offer. The Economics that I'm studying now is more than that. What I study now is not like what I studied in HSC. I feel that if I were to know that I would be studying what I'm studying now at a pre-uni level, I may have decided not to take up Economics. Too much thinking. At times, it's either you get it or you don't. Anyway I'm taking Economics now because I can now apply it to daily life and I'm enjoying what I study; reasons which are more important than my inital reasons of taking up Economics as my degree of choice.
About my reasons of coming to Singapore to study...In actual fact, my initial reasons of coming to Singapore to study have not crossed my mind for a long time too, just like my initial reasons of studying Economics. I decided to come to Singapore to study in the end because I felt the peace of God. Secondly, I felt that I want to come back to my hometown. But currently, all these don't matter anymore.
It is not that I do not feel the peace of God anymore, and it is also not because I do not want to be here because this is my hometown. It is because I'm experiencing God daily now, and not the initial peace that I had when I decided to come to Singapore. It is because I am currently living each day learning new things, which is more important now than my initial reasons of coming to Singapore.
A study was done on couples who were dating each other for more than a year. They were asked: Do your initial reasons of getting together with your bf/gf matter to you now?
Most answered: No. The common initial reasons of getting together is: the looks of the person, that you can click with each other...If you do want to stick with that person for a long time, such reasons are reasons which can't last your for long. Instead, commitment and passion is more crucial for a relationship to carry on, to go through the storms and breeze through the sun.
Oh wellz, just a thought that I had. =)
1 comments:
"The common initial reasons of getting together is: the looks of the person, that you can click with each other...If you do want to stick with that person for a long time, such reasons are reasons which can't last your for long. Instead, commitment and passion is more crucial for a relationship to carry on, to go through the storms and breeze through the sun."
you are absolutely spot-on... :)
Post a Comment