Today is the last class of this academic year, the end of Year 1, the first year in SMU.

I had my final presentation today-my impromptu speech for my Communications module. But that is beside the point. I want to say here that my Prof, Prof Mark Chong, wrapped up the last class very well, which I think, left an impact on the students in his class.

After all the impromptu speeches today, he said this-he has been rewarding seeing us grow from where we were in Week 1 to where we are now, in Week 13. And I think he is right. We did grow a lot. We grew from SMU students who were distant from each other, who did not know each other well, to friends, true friends, who can share our true, deepest feelings. We grew, from wanting to score As in the course to become presenters who are more groomed, who do the speeches not to get an A, but to overcome the fear of public speaking.

He also commented about the climate in the class. It is different from the other classes he taught. He says that our class is silent, but united. This is because he gets the impression that even though we, the students in the class, do not know each other very well, we still extend a helping hand to other students in the class. For example, last night, some of the speakers who were giving their speeches today booked a room to rehearse their speech together, even when they did not know each other very well.

I’m so grateful for personalities such as this in this class. So ready to help. I remember the night before my 1st speech, I was with 2 other friends from the class. We helped each other out with our own speeches, and even had time to have a good, deep conversation. =)

I think our class also grew closer because we share our truest thoughts through our speeches. We share what we are really passionate about. Things like volunteerism overseas, first aid, caring about parents to things like movement against cosmetic surgery and banning motorcycles on the road. Hah. It is also nice to know that we recognise that a high GPA, a 4.0, is not everything. We know, although we do not say, that all of us, have to cope with the high levels of stress, and given a choice, we would not want it.

Besides commenting that we are silent but united, Prof Mark also said this:” I think that some of the Year 4s in SMU has noticed a change in the climate among the students. And is especially so among this batch of students. The students in this intake are more grade-oriented, aiming for a high GPA. The Year 4s also share that if they see students in Group Study Rooms in the first week of school, there is a high chance that it would be a Year 1.” He says that this is quite sad, and even shared his personal experience as an undergrad. He was so frank...he admitted that he was a “mugger-king”, a guy who always studies non-stop...and had no time for other activities. He truly regretted it. He says that university is not only a time to study, but also a time to make friends. Ah.

I’m glad that though I may be very stressed at times, and constantly worried about my studies, God has placed very good friends beside me to encourage me when I’m down.

I think that though the students from this Communications class may not be in the same class together ever again, I think we have a general good feel about each other. Probably because we shared moments from the heart. True feelings. This reminds me of the last scenes in Mean Girls, where Lola (played by Lindsay Lohan) and the group of girls that used to be mean acknowledged each other after they had a session where they shared their true feelings. They shared their true feelings on stage and then jump down to be caught by their friends. I think that if we, then students from this class, meet each other down on the corridor, we would greet each other with mutual friendliness. =)

Next week would be the study break, then exams...it’ll be a whole load of fun. =D