I was relieved on Thursday, as I have completed almost all my major assignments. After class that day, which ended at 12pm, I went to have lunch with some friends from the same class, which is Mircroeconomics class. I went to the Croom after that(it's a room where campus crusaders study, and is welcomed to people, heh) and did stuff. Sarah and Eugene(my Econs camp facilitators) were there too. I went there to wait for Victor, a year 4 Economics student who I knew through the Econs camp I went for last year(He crashed my Econs team!) We were to catch up, cus firstly, we haven't met up with each other in a long time, and secondly, it is a good time to really get to know each other.

About Victor, he does very well in his studies, and considers A- very bad. He was in the Dean's List for the first two years of uni, and is aiming to get into the Dean's List again this year, his final year. Smart guy eh. And we're studying in this all so competitive small country, so being at the top of the class means that you are really really good. He also has very firm views about Christianity, and can some how give good robust reasons to most of the questions asked about Christianity.

Anyway, we went to a cafe near my school, just to chit chat and catch up. And boy, didn't I gain great insight from him! We were sharing stuff from each others life, and the conversation went on to something about GPA.

He said that he prayed that a friend of ours will get good GPA so that she will be a good testimony to others. This friend of ours, Michelle, has a great vision for SMU so that we as believers in SMU will unite to create one body of Christ in SMU. And I said: Yes, I do agree that Michelle has a lot of faith in God, and is doing great works for Christ, but does getting a good GPA really matter? GPA is just a material thing, and we as Christians should not sought after things of the world, but sought after Christ, who has greater plans for us as compared to merely getting good GPA. So doesn't that mean we shouldn't really care about our GPA, but focus more on spreading God's word?

But he said: Yes, correct. We should sought after Christ, who has greater plans for us. But what a lot of people care about is getting a good GPA. In their definition, getting a good GPA means you're smart, and when you're smart, you will be respected. If we want other people to know about Christianity and God's word, but we don't get good results, how are we going to get the respect we need? Getting a good GPA is a tool to spread God's word. Besides that, God also said that he will make us prosper and bless us, so we should still strive to get a good GPA. It is not a do or die to get good GPA, But if you do get a good GPA, it would be a HUGE blessing. =)

Words of wisdom eh.

I pondered on what he said for quite a while, and went home. I talked to my sis about it, and she was actually smiling when I told her about it. She says: Ya, what your Year 4 friend say is true. I mean, if a person goes to church 10 times a week, but gets 2.0 GPA(which is quite bad), would you respect him/her? But if a Christian gets a good GPA, while maintaining a good relationship with God, you would question what is so special about that person and want to become like that too. Besides that, if you get a good GPA, and are good in a certain subject, you can teach your juniors on it, and thus spread more love to people.

Currently, what I need to do is to balance my life between fun and homework. I currently have very bad time management. I keep on thinking that I have a lot of homework to do, haih. Once I balance my life, I'll have time to relax, and to do things I want, like watching concerts, helping people with their homework.

I really admire my sister and Victor a lot. They did spent their first one or two years of their uni life focusing on their studies, and less time with people. This is a sacrifice, but a long term one. Once they got their foundation right, they got better in their studies, and had more time to spend with people, and help people in their studies. If they did not spend time on their studies for the first two years, they would struggle through their uni life and would not have time to help people in their studies.

Another thing, is that we must have patience while waiting for good results to come.

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. James 1:2-3

So if my results are not very good now, I should be patient. I should wait for good results to come, with hard work and determination, I believe that with God's power and blessing, I'll be able to make it. =)

Sidenote: Met up with Shen on Sat. Was quite random, he smsed me to wen4 hou4, and since I didn't meet up with him for more than half a year, it was a good chance to meet up. I was deliberating whether I should, cus I have homework, but I felt more energised after seeing him, haha. Catching up with an old friend.

Shen & Me at Orchard Road