July 2007. Recently accepted offer to enter SMU. Have yet to enter university. Lived in Penang for most of my conscious life. Completed college the previous year, had a temp job at a hospital in Singapore. Attended various freshmen orientation camps to increase chances of knowing people.

SMU pp: Which JC are you from?
PQ: I'm not from a JC.
SMU pp: Oh, which poly are you from?
PQ: I'm not from poly.
SMU pp: Oh, then where are you from?
PQ: I'm from Malaysia.
SMU pp1: Oh.
SMU pp2: Oh, my mum/dad is a Malaysian.
SMU pp3: (If I manage to continue the conversation and tell them that I'm from Penang) Oh, I've been to Penang before! The food there is good!
-end-

February 2011. Almost 4 years of university education. Did an internship, took part in various CCAs, held leadership positions here and there. Went for an exchange. Worked in Starbucks. Went to India for community service trip. On the brink of graduation.

SMU pp1: Graduating this sem?
PQ: (laughs) Yea.
SMU pp1: Found a job?
PQ: Nope, I'm taking my time.
-end-

The question whether a person at the brink of graduation has found a job is a two-in-one question. It is implicitly asking whether a person has started finding/applying for a job yet, and whether the person has got a job. Obviously I'm affected by the question cus I have not even started finding a job yet, how can I get a job? I'm not head hunted, neither am I asked to submit my resume to any company.

This version of conversation has been repeated more than 10 times since last semester, to different people. Yesterday, after a friend asked, hearing this for the umpteen time, I laughed at the whole story. How small talk goes about in Singapore, in SMU. Ah, I don't know. I think it would be different if I studied in Malaysia? Lol. Ah, different places, different culture. ;)

It also reflects the different stages of life, another reason I laughed at how the conversation went. Reflected different categorisations of people by people in SMU. Ah, I don't know. We shall see what the future brings. ;)