I wrote this when I was teaching the kids in India. It describes more in detail the day to day things that I do with the children. :)
It was so shocking seeing the children’s school. Only tents, and no coverings. The amount of discipline that the students have. Setting up their school, getting their tables and chairs down on the floor. The kids look quite small, either lack of nutrition or that they are really young. When Pastor comes, all of them would automatically say “Good morning sir”. The older kids were sweeping the floor, whereas the younger ones got ready to sit on the flat sheet of plastic.
Every morning, they will start with a prayer in English, followed by the Indian pledge, also in English. I doubt they know what they are saying, but in time to come, they will. Then class begins. Around 60 children, from ages ranging from 3 to 15, are taught in this school. Imagine how to teach all classes with only a team of husband and wife! They seriously need more people helping them. (That’s why we are here, lol).
They start of by having some Math questions given – addition, subtraction and multiplication. The classes are divided into nursery, level 1, level 2. I was helping with the level 2 one. The math questions given by Pastor ain’t easy, some of them.
What Allie and I are in charge of are marking their classwork and homework. Some do so fast, some copy answers (unsuccessfully), some have all wrong. It’s sad. But some of them are just brilliant. They can actually get full marks most of the time for math, and they do it so quickly. They have a very high IQ. And previously, they haven’t been attending official school. They attended evening classes twice a week. They only started attending Morning Star school last year when the school got set up. Brilliant. I keep having this thought in my mind that education is not a right, it’s a privilege. All children have the right to a decent education, according to United Nations. But seeing from the point of view of developed countries where most people have access to education till high school level, you wonder whether education after that is a right or a privilege.
It just so happened that I was born into a more well-off family, where I can get almost anything I want. I sulk when I don’t get McDonalds when I was young. Justin, one of the volunteers here, commented that he has never saw a kid here cry before. The only kid he saw who cried is an American kid with his parents in the airport. These slum kids, they are happy. They fall down, they don’t cry. They get up real fast, smile or laugh, and continue playing. They don’t have toys, just playing group games among themselves. Strong, tough kids. Not whimpy, like me. Haha.
I am happy. Playing with them, doing what I always wanted to. Pastor really has a vision, to set up a school there. These kids used to say foul words, very rough kids. But now, they are much more polite. Transformation. Takes time, but is definitely worth it. :D
0 comments:
Post a Comment