As promised, some photos from India. :)
Yup, this is the basic set up of the school. Tentages, with tables and benches. Some of the younger children have to sit of the floor cus there's not enough tables and benches. The school is set up near where the children stay.I don't know why there's a pig at the slum. Maybe they will slaughter it to make a meal for a few days.
Where they stay. Concrete walls, but corrugated zinc roofs. When you step in, it's immediately the bed, with the kitchen at the side.
Rich poor divide. These houses are outside where my host family and I stay. These kind of houses can be very near the slums. Seeing slums is an everyday thing in Indian's life.
Play time! The children playing leap frogging. :)
Mini Christmas tree! :DSunit, me and Sister Soba.
One of my favourite students, Apdesh. He is really intelligent, and can complete 16 math questions in 5 mins. Not bad at all.
Christmas gifts that we gave them. I collected some money from my friends in Singapore and converted them to rupees. An exercise book, pencil, eraser, chocolate and fruit cake. Spreading the joy of Christmas there. :)
Christmas caroling Indian style - Indian drum, Hindi songs.
The whole school! :D The school is divided into a few classes based on age groups. I taught those around 8 to 12, Math and English. It wasn't easy at all, with the language barrier. They speak Hindi as their first language. The older students can speak better English.
One of my favourite students, Apdesh. He is really intelligent, and can complete 16 math questions in 5 mins. Not bad at all.
Christmas gifts that we gave them. I collected some money from my friends in Singapore and converted them to rupees. An exercise book, pencil, eraser, chocolate and fruit cake. Spreading the joy of Christmas there. :)
Christmas caroling Indian style - Indian drum, Hindi songs.
The whole school! :D The school is divided into a few classes based on age groups. I taught those around 8 to 12, Math and English. It wasn't easy at all, with the language barrier. They speak Hindi as their first language. The older students can speak better English.Their son is just so adorable!
I have a greater appreciation of things around me. Hot showers, shower heads, washing machine, iron, shoes, etc. Some children come to school barefooted. In winter. Yes, India is cold. Especially North India, where I was. It is even colder in the Himalayas, where it dropping to negative celcius degrees is the norm.
I took one cold shower. And fell sick. So my host family insisted to boil water for me for baths. I initially bathed everyday, but psychoed myself into thinking that bathing once every two days is okay, it's winter there. I wouldn't want the family to boil water for me everyday just because of my spoiltness of coming from a developed country.
Blackouts happen virtually everyday, for around half an hour to an hour. Then we'll go outside to play. It disrupts laptop charging and watching of TV, but it might not be such a bad thing in the end as we won't be couch potatoes.
Many flies fly aroeund the children's food. I wonder why they don't get sick. They have strong stomachs.
I was sharing my volunteer experience with one of my friends, and she asked me how can the children live in such deplorable conditions. I also don't know. But I think it may be a blessing that they don't know what they don't have.
The children warm up to you. When they play games, they will pull the teachers along. Yet they still have respect for the teachers.
They are so adorable. I believe that education, no matter what form, is a way out for these kids.




0 comments:
Post a Comment