Yes, I decided to take my maid out yesterday.
After going to China, I realised, and changed my view on maids. All humans are created equal, but placed in different settings. I'm privileged, having a family, house, car, education, etc. Maids do not have a choice but to work overseas to earn money for their family. Given a choice, they would want a stable and secure life, just like any other human being.
My grandparents are not around this week as they went to China on a trip. They are old but healthy and strong, thank God for that.
So it's just me and my maid at home! Yay. My grandparents don't impose any curfew or rules for me to follow, but it's just freer without overseers at home. ;)
I took the opportunity to bring my maid out, as I thought it would be good for her to go have a walk or something. I can't even stay home the whole day without feeling gloomy, I can't imagine staying at home for a month without going out!
My maid hasn't really had an off day since she started working here in August. She's usually quite hardworking I think. At least on my part, she does what she has to do. She hasn't taken taxi nor public transport in Singapore before.
So after work, I rushed home and brought her out to Orchard Road. I had a meeting in town, so I took her to see where I usually volunteer on Sundays and then told her that she can go Lucky Plaza (where all the Filipinos hang out every Sunday on their off day) and hang out while I have my meeting. Lucky Plaza was 10 minutes down the road from where my meeting was. I was worried that she'll get lost or runaway. Yea, I was taking the risk, and I wasn't sure whether the risk was worth it.
I made sure that I had her number and she had mine, so that I could contact her after my meeting. I also gave her my Ezlink card, in case she wanted to take public transport. Seems like I'm aiding her in her escape if she was planning it. Hurhurhur. In general, I trust her, but one can never know what the other thinks.
After my meeting, I messaged her saying that I'll go to Lucky Plaza to meet her. Thankfully, she replied. I met her at Lucky Plaza, and asked her how was it going there. I told her how to go to Lucky Plaza, but I forgot that she had to take the underpass in order to reach. But thankfully, she reached there safe and sound. First time in Orchard Road, it can be quite confusing walking alone.
We walked around Lucky Plaza for awhile, and then went out. I told her that she can buy anything she needs, but she didn't. Not sure whether it was out of guilt, courtesy, or that she really didn't need anything.
It started raining outside, the usual Singapore-tropical-thunderstorm. I had my umbrella, so yay for that. We walked pass a McDonald's dessert kiosk, and she was starring at it. I asked her whether she wanted anything, and that I'll buy it for her. She was starring at the McDonald's menu, and commented - "ah, so expensive". I said "huh, no la, not expensive la". It was only SGD1 for an ice cream, I thought that was pretty okay! So I persuaded her to get an ice cream, on a rainy day. We went up to the kiosk, and got her a chocolate flavour burst ice cream.
We continued walking. I decided that it would be good that she visited another mall which was better looking - Ion probably. (that's the newest mall I know of...yes, outdated! Haha) So we walked there through the underpass. I wanted to go to Starbucks, as I thought I had a free drink redemption from my Starbucks card.
So we went to Starbucks in Ion. I know that she drinks coffee, so I asked her to get one for herself. I told her that I could redeem a free drink, so I asked her not to worry about the money. She said "ah, don't want la, so expensive". But I reassured her. She ordered a tall non-fat latte for herself. And so, yes, I thought I had a drink redemption. But alas, I didn't. So I just paid for the drink. I have discount as a Starbucks employee anyway, so the drink wasn't as expensive in the end.
We sat down while waiting for the rain to stop.
Along the way, we talked about things. About her hometown, previous jobs, her attempt to take up courses, etc. In turn, I probably told her about this and that too. Pretty interesting, that I can hear more from her on a more personal note. Having an "overseas experience" from her, equivalent of what I would get from exchange.
We then headed off, taking public transport (yes, tap tap Ezlink card!) to my sister's house. It was such a journey. I was unfamiliar on how to get to my sis's place from town, and wand here and there. MRT, bus. Thank God, we ended up at my sister's place within an hour.
I know that she could click with my sister's maid, so I thought that that would also bring happiness to her day. We played with baby G when we were there, cute baby! My sis wasn't back yet, as usual, working long hours.
We had dinner there, and I was glad that I could catch up with my sis at the same time.
I hoped that she had fun yesterday, walking around and breathing fresh air. At least my risks taken paid off. Nice day. :)
1 comments:
What an awesome story:)
Post a Comment