Had a fulfilling day today.
Met up with Yung Chaw (that dude...bro!), bumped into familiar and close friends, etc. Gone for a semester, and appeared again.
Anyway, I feel it's weird that people say "oh, you're so Cina." Sometimes you get the comment here in Singapore. I don't know the real reason why people don't want to associate themselves as being "Cina", whatever that really really means. Maybe it's because they think China is backwards, maybe because they think that China is made up of people who still need some refinement, maybe it's just because you speak Chinese well.
I mentioned it before, that I feel it's shameful and quite sad how Singaporeans view China Chinese. They are humans too eh. (But on that point, I myself discriminate against other people knowingly and unknowingly) But the thing is sad is that China Chinese think that Singapore is generally a good place - until they come here.
I don't think that there is anything wrong with befriending China Chinese genuinely. Most of them are sincere in how they treat people. They wear their hearts on their sleeves. And there is nothing wrong speaking proper Chinese, fluent Chinese. If you can, it makes you effectively bi-lingual, something that most Singaporeans lack (at least I can say this for the younger generation of Chinese).
But I do notice that they redraw when they come here, and most of them stick to themselves. I don't know the reason why, whether it's because we are intimidating, or they are just people who are more inclusive. Maybe we are not reaching out to them enough. Maybe they subscribe to ideas we don't and only the people who live in China and are part of the society understand it.
Anyway, enough of the blabbering. Here's a happy photo. :)

Liu Dan helped us organise a farewell party before we left Wuhan. Da Tou, Denise and Josh went home earlier.
From L to R: PQ, Hasuna, Christina, Liu Dan, Wan Xian, Bing Chou (volunteering friend), He Zuo Yu, Ayrton
谢谢!:)
0 comments:
Post a Comment