Abstract: This post can be rather confusing. It contains 2 sides of an argument - freedom and "not-so" freedom. It also contains my gratitude towards God for the things which I have no freedom to change.

"God gave us the freedom of choice. The freedom to choose what we want to do with our life, and whether to believe him or otherwise."

This thought came into mind, or rather, is from the book I'm currently reading. If we wanted to leave Him, we could do so, no matter how much He wants us to stay. I think it kinda aches His heart when we do so, leaving Him, or disobeying Him.

With the talk about freedom, then comes into mind the counter point of view - what are we not given freedom of?

Our parents, siblings, family background, financial wealth of family, our looks...anything else that I missed? This is not our choice, neither is it a choice anyone made for you once you were born.
(I remember some arguments about Peter Singer on this, but oh well, that's a whole new argument on its own)

I think at certain points in our life when we were growing up, we did complain here and there, about the things listed above. Things we cannot change. Well, I know that is true of me. And I also remember feeling blessed with the things that I'm given. At this point, at the age of 21, I have learnt to appreciate certain things that I resented in the past. I thank God for that, for releasing me from the resentment I felt.

Let's come back to the talk about freedom...what is freedom? I remember when we were young, we wrote in our friends' autograph books, our ambitions...doctor, lawyer, actor...whatever else...(How come the ambition of "an accountant" or "a banker" or "an engineer" was hardly penned down? Now so many of us are studying courses related to that...=.= Never mind, it's a straying thought.) Anyway, why do we write down ambitions such as doctors and lawyers? Have we been social influenced, by parents, by friends? Is this true freedom? And so, what is freedom?

I'll pause here. I don't know the answer to the question, it's just a question that lingers in my mind. But I some how think that it's related to what God said...that

"...the truth will set you free"
John 8:32