Love. It was the first wave of feeling that came to me when I touched down. As I stepped out of the terminal, I was greeted by the familiarity of the same person fetching from the airport everytime I came back home. The way he asked how I am, and greeted me, I know that he really cares for me. He has always been there to protect me, when I face problems, and I am really grateful to him.

And when I reach back home, I was greeted by my siblings and my dad downstairs. I asked my siblings what were they doing downstairs, and they said it was to welcome me back home. Well, my siblings can be rather sarcastic at times (I think all 3 of us are like that), but I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I realised that what I miss is the familiarity of things. Of seeing the dark street lights as I go home from the airport, passing through Yeap Chor Ee road, and reaching back home. Of feeling the sense of connectivity with people, of the culture here. Of being myself, and controlling my own time, instead of letting the activities and events and appointments with people control my time.

It is like I have amnesia, awaking from my trance. As I switch the lights of the living room on, it seemed familiar, yet foreign. I haven't press the switch for a long time, yet I know which one to press. This is just one of the many incidences that happen whenever I come back.

Basically, I am a person who doesn't like change. I cherish the familiarity of things. Things I grew up with. My friends. My siblings. Even my parents. That's why I like to be here. That's why I miss home.

Again, home is where the heart is. And my heart is, here.

Home
Music & Lyrics: Dick Lee

This is home truly, where I know I must be
Where my dreams wait for me, where that river always flows
This is home surely, as my senses tell me
This is where I won't be alone, for this is where I know it's home

A Singapore national anthem song. However the place I call home is another. :)