Singaporeans
wait to rush
and
rush to wait.
[This line makes me think of people who wake up early on the 1st day of the Standard Chartered Marathon collection day to go queue up with 1000+ other ppl]

Hmm, how true can that be? When we only have that limited time to accomplish all that we have to do in our mind. Before we sleep every night, we will come up with a list to do for the next day, or probably, the next week. At times, we pack our activities in a tight time frame, because we want to do as many things as possible. This is efficiency. Or, is it not? You see, packing your activities for the whole of the day gives you little time to yourself. You have no time to breathe or think about yourself - or those around you. You focus on the tasks you plan in your mind the day before, and will feel a sense of satisfaction when you accomplish those tasks. Or not?

Sometimes, I feel that efficiency kills. It takes out the life out of me. I will plan my day ahead, and execute the tasks accordingly. At the end of the day, I will repeat the routine again. At first, I will still have the energy to do all the stuff planned. But alas, I'm still human. I will wear out and get tired. And at the end of the day, I'll ask myself: "what are all these for?" And I can't answer it.

I felt that way a couple of times. Emersing myself in school-related stuff that I was so touched when my friend sent me my birthday gift. Rushing from work to my dental appointment and neglecting the auntie at the HDB that needed help with her groceries. Forgeting to care about people. Do I feel satisfied that I completed all those tasks? Probably. Do I think it is worth the amount of time sacrificed, when I could use that time to care about people around me, and myself? Again, I can't answer it.

How many of you are guilty of such things, especially living if you live in urbanised areas?

You see, sometimes we are such control freaks. We want to control our environment and will not accept anything less than perfect. We live daily in hope of getting our lives under control - setting priorities, meeting datelines, scheduling appointments with friends, fulfilling family obligations and ensuring vacation holidays are planned in advanced.

And through these, forget what is most important to us - God, family, friends.

In these days, I actually have to plan time to rest! To me, this is unheard of in the kampung days of Penang.

When a journalist asked Thomas Merton to diagnose the foremost spiritual disease of our time, the monk gave a one-word reply: "Efficiency." "Why?" the journalist puzzled. Merton replied: "From the monastery to the Pentagon, the plant has to run... and there is little time or energy left over after that to do anything else."

I'm not asking you to be less efficient. I'm asking you to think of yourself and of others around you. So that next time, when you plan your day, remember to plan for nothing in one of the time slots (AM, PM, whatever) in your diary or Outlook. Busy, yes. But try. I know I will.