So the next day, we woke up, fresher, partly thanks to Prof's lecturing. Yes, finally, DUBAI! The highlight of the trip. ;)

On the first day, we visited 4 places – Dubai Chamber of Commerce & Industry (DCCI), Emirates National Oil Company (ENOC), Dubailand and the construction site of Baygate, a development by Akar Properties.


DCCI was an interesting visit. After a brief presentation on the government linked body, the floor was open up to the usual Q&A session. Our host Omar Khan, gladly answered the questions posted. Those who manage to ask questions in the short period of time were enlightened by the insights given. Besides Omar Khan, 2 representatives of Dubai University and an economics analyst from DCCI answered our queries very willingly.

View of Dubai creek at DCCI

During the formal session, Omar Khan mentioned that some Emirati women were taking courses to upgrade themselves during the current times of the financial crisis. They were having their classes the same time as our formal session, and said that we could interact with the local women. And intereact we did. Although we only had brief interaction with them, I personally found it quite enlightening. These women, were educated women. They come from all walks of life, ranging from fresh graduates to housewives. They were friendly, and again, spoke rather good English. They were shy in front of the guys, but talked chirpily in front of the gals. They recommended us places to go and shop, and asked us how we've been enjoying the trip so far. Really nothing of what I would have thought of a Middle Eastern woman.


We took some pictures with the Middle Eastern women. But I don't put up pictures of us and the them here as some women do not like their picture to be taken, what more being put up on the net. It is just not their culture to take pictures. It is very unlike the taking-photo-culture that us Asians, or probably more specifically, Chinese have.

For each stop that we visit, we have a team in-charge of it: to ensure that everything is smooth running. And for each team, there's a leader. I'm in the Dubai team, and KJ was the leader of it. But as we has the official photographer of the trip, he had to constantly run around taking pics. Therefore, I was kinda semi-put-in-charge of ensuring that things don't get screwed up during these 2 days. Luckily for me, there's only 1 official day here, so Team Dubai only had to "work" for one day. Well, at least, it allowed me to feel that I at least made some small form of contribution to the whole of BSM. :P

Team Dubai
Nic, Mishti, Caelan, Weining and me
Missing: May and KJ
KJ was missing in the picture as he was busy taking photographs

I think the whole concept of this BSM class is quite interesting. Fyi, we did not have any tour guide for most part of the trip. We use as much of our resources as possible, using as much of free manpower from our class which can be spared. Like the designing of cards - I had to do it, and for corporate gifts, Kris had to be in-charge of it. For Team Dubai, each of us took turns giving background details of each place in the bus before we arrive there, just like how a tour guide does it. :P

Next, we went to ENOC. The head of the departments of ENOC received us warmly. Similar to the formal session at DCCI, we had a brief introduction of the company followed by a Q&A session. After a quick lunch, we then moved on to Dubailand, where we were greeted by Basel, a representative of Tatweer, the developer that is overall in-charge of Dubailand. The construction of Dubailand is ongoing, therefore, we were only brought through the exhibitions. Nonetheless, it was an informative one. I was in awe of the monstrous size of the project. In the future, Dubailand will host many theme parks – Universal Studios and Legoland, just to name a few. It will also host a theme park with Middle Eastern flavour based on a local TV show. Dubailand is also planning to build the biggest mall in the world – something to look forward to for the shopaholics. Sadly, all these plans are stalled due to the current crisis. I wouldn't mind coming back to Dubai again to play man, with all those themeparks and stuff, :P.

Outside Dubailand
Universal Studio in Dubailand
Structure that is fully made of Lego blocksTeampark that will be built in Dubailand
The model of the entire the Dubailand project

I remember this question innocently that Weining innocently asked our guide for the Dubailand exhibition...
WN: Oh, you all are going to build the largest mall in Dubailand?
Guide: Yes, why not?
WN: I was just wondering, I thought Dubai already has the biggest mall in the world (Dubai Mall, size of 50 soccer fields), why is it building another one?
Guide: Oh, because we want the biggest, and the 2nd biggest mall in the world! This is Dubai, you know.
;)

We next went to Baygate, a construction being done by a company which had Singaporeans in it. It was yet to be completed - 38 of the 40 stories were already built. Yes, we went to a construction site, and for many, it was their first.

After a brief presentation in a board room on the 14th floor (yes, we had a presentation at the site itself, heh. And yes, it was dusty!), all of us went up to the 37th floor to take lovely pictures. The sun was setting then, and oh my, what a view! These are just some of the pictures that I took with my friends.

In the lift at the construction site
In pic: Nic, Weisheng, Justina, Darrick, Qin Zhen
Me and Joseph
Ever-going construction in Dubai
The office building districtBurj Dubai
Tallest building in the world, due for completion soon

Notice that there is still construction going on at the tip of the building
Flying without wingsSunsetBan cool with KirstyJiaying, Kirsty, Prof and me

We ended the night by going on a dhow cruise on Dubai creek, having dinner on deck. It was nice, relaxing even. I was sitting with some other friends not from the usual clique I am always with that night, and it was great that I manage to find a few more people that I could click with during the BSM trip.

Taken while on the Dhow Cruise