Many of you know my roles as a student, friend and sister. But I have yet to mention about my role as a piano teacher before. Reason? Well, none in particular. I just don't bring up things that we would not talk about naturally. People around me don't teach piano, and therefore I don't bring it up.
I taught piano for the whole of my first year in university, until I quit at the start of my 2nd year, because I thought that I should focus on my studies. I taught piano only on Sundays, but nevertheless, it still took up time which I could use for studying.
I had this one particular student, who's autistic. I was teaching him Grade 1. He can't verbalise words well, and doesn't respond appropriately to people too. He learns things very slowly, and I have to repeat myself gazzilion times before he gets it. I get darn frustrated every time, but as the year passed, I have learnt to be more patient, and speak to him in a way which I think he can understand. Btw, he was 13 when I taught him.
His mother wanted him to advance further in piano, and asked me whether her son could take the Grade 1 exam. Well naturally, I didn't think it would be good, cus of his special condition. But she was insistent, and I got persuaded by her. I asked my manager, and he was a little reluctant, but nonetheless, agreed to it too.
It was a hell of a time, teaching him 3 pieces. not the mention aural, where he faced surmounted problems cus he can't sing the notes well. Every week, I'll try to give a report to mum on his progress.
I have to let you know that I admire his mum absolutely. She's a mum that deserves anyone's utmost respect. She only has this one son. She tries her best to push him to do things that a normal autistic child won't do, like learning piano. She didn't know how to read scores, but after her son took up piano, she learnt how to read while teaching her son how to play piano at home. She ensures that he plays piano everyday, at least an hour, and teaches him when he doesn't get it. She will scold him when she thinks that he can go further, yet loves him a lot by showering care in other ways. 打是疼,骂是爱吗。Sometimes, she buys him his favourite - McDonald's after piano lessons.
At the same time, she works full time. Her mother will take care of her son when she is at work.
And yes...after all the lessons, he finally took his Grade 1 practical exam last July. I left the music school in August, so I didn't get to know his results. However, his mum phoned me in September telling me that he did not pass. It was sad, but nonetheless, an experience for him.
Since then, he has retaken the exam. He took it last month.
Today, I went down to the music school to meet the mum. She showed me his result slip, and I was like "this is unbelievable". It is a miracle. He passed. Not just merely passed, but got a high pass. I then doubted my ability in teaching piano, as when I taught him, he didn't pass. But after I check the results of another student who I taught who took Grade 2, I smiled, and was glad that his results somewhat showed my ability in teaching.
Only a mother's love so strong would be able to push her son to do the impossible, to stand up together again when he fail, and retake the exam.
His mum then handed me some gifts - as a token of appreciation. As she always have, for teaching her son, and ultimately, receiving a miracle in her and her son's life.
2 comments:
you know what PQ? i should really stop reading ur blog la. LOL everytime i read ur blog, somehow i always feel like crying. argh! >.<
Hahaha! That's funny...okay, I will post something not-so-depressing! :P
PQ
Post a Comment