I think all my friends or close friends will know that I have been through a fair share of relationships 2 years before. If you know me well enough, you would know that I have not been engage in any official "boyfriend-girlfriend" relationship for around that period of time. Just a superficial view of the facts will be interesting to analyse: why the sudden halt in relationships?
For those who have yet to engage in any relationship because you are still waiting for "the one" to come along, I salute you. You have all my respect. Although at times you may wonder what it is like to be in an official relationship, it is great that you are taking your stand, and sticking to it. Your stand for not being in a relationship may include: not having met the right one, waiting to reach a certain age before engaging in a relationship or that you want to have more freedom now, since you're still young. No matter what, it is really great for you to stick by it. I think it is rather selfless of you, really. I have to confess that a few years ago, I am rather selfish when it comes to relationships. My reasons to be in a relationship last time were as follows:
1. Because the person asked. Regardless on whether I genuinely like that person, there is a possibility that I'm with that person. I did not let the person know my boundary/my criteria for a partner.
2. Because I genuinely liked that person. I am happy with that person, but I also seek love from him. That means that the love is conditional. In a way, it can be considered as selfish love. Which is normal. People thrive in happiness, and when you are happy with that person, you would want to be with that person. (But now, I believe that there is more to relationship love than that)
Now, I believe that we should not be so selfish in relationships. In a relationship, it is more than just loving that person genuinely. Being in a relationship requires me to serve him too, and not just to satisfy my hunger for happiness and feeling of loneliness. That is my stand, and you needn't agree with it.
I believe that those of you who stick by your stand are not selfish people, but are people who care about what your future partner feels. Not letting your pursuer know your boundaries is selfish. It may be out of fear that you do not reveal your boundaries, but not revealing them is very selfish of you.
So now, I have certain boundaries that I abide on before I consider being in a relationship. What are the oh-so-selfless reasons for not engaging in a relationship now? (Besides the point that i have yet to meet the right one) Well, I'm not in a relationship now cus I'm in a process of refining. Refining to become a better person. Cus like how God is the potter, I am His clay. I am still being moulded by Him to become a better partner, heh.
What aspects am I refining? Now here comes the 3 reasons:
1. My domineering personality.
I realised that when I am in a relationship, I tend to be quite domineering. I will insist my way be done, but that should not be the case. God says in Ephesians 5:22-28:
3. I hurt people badly with my words.
1 comments:
hey=) thanx for informing, great to see this post, so well analyzed XD
at this stage of life, it seems there's a lot of refining to do hor (applies to everyone) =)
let's work hard! XD
Post a Comment