Yesterday was the first time I ever watched 2 movies in the cinemas in a day! And I watched it in the same theatre. =.=
I watched "The Social Network" with Don in the afternoon. We agreed to watch it together around 2 weeks back, and thankfully there were no schedule changes after that. ;) I would say that it is a fast-paced movie in terms of progression. It goes from scene to scene. Each scene contributes to the overall understanding of the movie.
If you want to know what's the true story behind Facebook, then this is not the movie to watch. The movie is interesting in itself, as you can see how the fatest growing social networking site (which almost all of us owns an account at) developed, lawsuits faced and subsequently resolved. Those taking law and computing will appreciate this movie more than I. ;) The 2 lawsuits involved are that with Eduardo Sacharin, the co-founder of Facebook, and another group of Harvard students - a pair of twins and an Indian I think.
At night, I watched "Ajami" with Chia Ping. I thought that the movie would be interesting as it was based on the stringy relationships between Jews, Christians and Muslims living in the same neighbourhood of Jaffa, Israel. It was nominated for best foreign film in this year's Academy Awards. The show was largely in Arabic and Hebrew. The only things I could understand were "Asalaammualaikum" and "Mualaikumsalaam". =.= Oh, and "Shukran" and "Marhaba". Hurhurhur. So much for learning basic Arabic. -,-
I think this movie is very interesting in terms of the sequencing of the film. It has 5 chapters, each told from a different person's point of view. There's on with Omar, an Israeli Arab, who was almost shot to death as his uncle previously killed on of the clan members in the area. And then there was the part where his relationship with Hadir, a Christian girl, was rejected by the father due to the difference in religion.
There's Binj, also an Israeli Arab, who was ostracized by his friends cus he got a Jewish girlfriend and wanted to move in with her.
And there's Malek, a Palestinian refugee, working illegally at Abu Elias's restaurant to try to earn some money for his mother's surgery.
The intertwining of the lives of this people are explained throughout the film, how a Jewish police tries to find his missing brother, but ends up getting killed in the end by Nasri, Omar's brother.
It's interesting how those who speak solely Hebrew and Arab do not understand each other, like how Binj's girlfriend doesn't understand what his friends say. I thought that these two languages may be similiar cus they originated from the same area.
In the end, so many of them got killed...so scary. I find the line "if it were an Arab, they wouldn't even bother showing it on the news" chilling. It was said by Omar or Binj when news of a Jew got killed due to a silly conflict in the neighbourhood of Jaffa.
How was the experience watching 2 films a day? Hm, not bad I shall say. But I fell asleep at times while watching the 2nd one. Tired, and the movie was a little slow, and in a language I don't understand. I think it'll be more fun watching serials back to back than different movies of different genres in the same day. :P
Side note: Last day of school yesterday! Last day of uni for some of my friends. :( Will miss you! ;)
0 comments:
Post a Comment