SMU had a blood donation drive last week. I wanted to donate blood...but...well, few know this...
I actually got rejected for blood donation in Singapore 2 years ago due to low iron level.
I actually donated blood before back in Penang, twice even. So I was quite shocked when I got rejected for blood donation here. (Yea, Singapore is that strict...they don't do such tests in Penang! =.=)
And so, fast forwarding 2 years later, I decided to give it a try again, albeit with a little pushing from my friend.
I was a little fearful that my iron level would not be meet the minimum level again, and therefore hesitant. I didn't consume any additional iron supplements before hand, so I knew that my iron level was normal.
So I went to have my iron level checked...and guess what?
Though on the borderline...
Now here's this. The difference between donating blood in Malaysia and in Singapore.
While on the verge of donating blood
Malaysia: Nurse tries to find your vain in whichever arm you allow her to. She pricks. You'll be lucky if she got it the first time. If not, she'll pull the needle out, and try to find another more suitable vein again. *Prick prick prick*
Singapore: Nurse finds your vein. Applies anesthesia, allow it to take effect, and then prick your vein. Once.
After donating blood
Malaysia: Nurse would say..."oh, finish already? Boleh pergi makan sikit ya!" (regardless of whether you're dizzy...it's assumed that you'd be dizzy after a blood donation)
Singapore: Nurse would ask..."are you feeling dizzy?" If you say yes, she'll lift the chair so that the blood could flow back to your brain. =.=
Bandaging
Malaysia: A plaster.
Singapore: A smiley face rubber-bandage. (of different colours, which you can't choose from)
I personally prefer how it's done in Malaysia...less hassle! After the blood donation (in Singapore), I still had homework that had yet to be done, and they still wanted me to lie down...I couldn't wait to get up man. And the smiley face bandage...makes things so obvious. Sheesh.
Oh well, just hope that the blood would be useful in the end. :)
0 comments:
Post a Comment