After a gap of BSM posting, I'll continue with my next day. I promised myself that I would finish blogging all 11 days of it. ;) Today would be a busy day. We were slated to visit the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), the Emirates Palace hotel, Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority (ADTA), then Abu Dhabi University(ADU) in the late afternoon. Phew. What a day. And so, being the 8th day, many of us were starting to feel very weary. With youth on our side, we managed to sustain site visit after site visit for the past few days. But not today. OH No. And so, at our first visit at ADNOC, we kinda slept in during the presentation. Okay, this is how it flows: there are two speakers, one a lady, and the other a guy, both talking about oil stuff. The girl talked more on the general information on ADNOC, whereas the guy talked about the business analysis part. In between these two speakers, there was a 25 minute video on ADNOC. And oh gosh. Let me teach you how to keep awake:
1. Swirl your water bottle to the left and right slowly.
2. Gently open the cap of your bottle.
3. Let some drops of water drip onto your index finger.
4. Dap your eyes with your finger which has water on it.

Yes, the French museum which hosts Mona Lisa's picture. They'll have a 2nd Louvre in Abu Dhabi around 2012-13.
Next was ADTA. They had a presentation and video for us too. I felt quite embarassed up to this point in time. Let me explain. SMU has a culture have asking questions in class to increase a student's understanding. Next, our Prof for this trip fervently supports asking questions at each site visit. I'm supportive of this. This is good. So as long as we respect people too. l that in terms of asking questions, we should not go overboard, and should first and foremost, respect another one's culture. I feel that each of us could be more sensitive to someone from another culture, especially since this is the first time that we are meeting them. I felt disgrace. But what could I do. I'm still in this group. And therefore am thankful for some kind souls around. Anyway, below are the exhibitions that we saw at ADTA.
We then headed to Abu Dhabi University. Ahh, we were running late! And again, at this university, we saw education conducted where the sexes were separated, similar to that of Saudi Arabia. But I don't think all universities are like that in UAE. Anyway, sometimes the opposite sexes are allowed to mingle together, like during large or official events, such as this one, and sometimes, they are not allowed to do so. There's no hard and fast rule about it. I had quite an insightful chat with some of the girls there. I talked to these two ladies who were not local. In a sense that they have been staying in UAE for all their lives, but because they are not of UAE nationality by blood, they cannot be citizens of UAE. One is Pakistani-Indian, and another Indian and something else. They were lementing on UAE's policy of citizenship, saying that even if they were 2nd or 3rd generation residents in UAE, they would still not be able to get a citizenship. They love the country, but they can't get a citizenship there, cus it's just not allowed. You can only become a citizen of UAE only if you are of the local blood or if you marry into their family. Imagine if Singapore does not allow expats to become citizens so easily. I think sometimes Singaporeans who were Malaysians or of any nationality for that matter forget about the open policy that allow them to be citizens in where they stay in. Oh well.
Oh, and the two girls that I talk to were quite humorous, I have to say. Nothing of what I would expect of a Middle Eastern lady. One was studying Information Systems, another one Engineering or something. They were speaking good English, and displayed vast knowledge of the places in the world. They've heard of Malaysia and Singapore, and cus one of them has a parent from India, frequently goes back there. They were quite Western in thinking, I have to say.


0 comments:
Post a Comment