I have always feel that time is relative. Time passes by fast when we do something enjoyable. Yet when we feel panicky or are down, we will feel that time passes by very slowly. I wondered why.

An article I read a few months back answered my queries. It questioned: Do human beings function according to the external clock? When 1 hour has passed, does our body tell us that 1 hour has passed? Or does our body perceive it differently?

The article stated that each of us have an internal biological clock. We know what to do and when to do it, without the external clock tellings us when to do it.

For example, if we go to sleep on time, we will be able to wake up to go to school/work on time (On time=number of hours that is enough to give you rest for your body. Varies between 6-9 hours). I did state this example before in a blog post 2 months back.

I'll take my elder sister as an example. My elder sister, Pei Ling, doesn't believe in mugging(ie, cramming your brain with a lot of information before the exam). During her study break, she will sleep enough (8 hours), and then wake up on time everyday. Everyday, she will study 2 hours after she wakes up. Then her body automatically tells her is time for lunch. After lunch, she'll continue studying or she'll sleep. Some point of the day, she'll have a walk in the garden, which lasts about 10 to 15 minutes. Her brain then tells her it is time for dinner. Then she'll watch TV, laze around a little, then go to sleep. All of these are down without the external clock telling her to do so.

The portions of the day also help with our biological clock. If it is morning/afternoon, our bodies are ready to do work. But when night falls, we will naturally feel like going to sleep. People in countries with winter usually experience less light during that period. The effects of less sunlight are depression and so on.

Anyway, I like this quote from the article:

We are not stressed because we have no time,

We have no time because we have stress.

So people, do not get too stressed!